Thursday, July 13, 2006

Ugh..... the cat.

Connor. He has really brought me to the last straw. I am really ticked about it too.

He has been peeing in the house. Again. For no reason, other than he is just a little brat.

This started in force when Ian came home. At first we thought there was something wrong, so we took him to the vet. Nothing. So we did all the behavioral things they say to do when cats are peeing out of the box. We added another box, made it easy for him to get to one. We started separating the cats on a regular basis to give them a break from each other thinking maybe he was sick of fighting with Scout. We have changed food, litter, places in the house. We have secluded him in the bathroom with food, water, and a box of his own. He peed behind the toilet and in front of the box. He peed next to the box in the livingroom, in both places we have moved it too. We have had the carpets professionally cleaned once, and rented a cleaner twice.

I can't take it anymore. My house is in a massive stage of stink right now because I discovered he has been using the floor again, between the box and the couch. The carpets are just ruined at this point. Anytime it is humid around here, which thank goodness isn't all that often, the smell comes up from the first corner he has ruined. Now there is this second corner to deal with. I cleaned it twice yesterday by hand and then rented a carpet cleaner again. It is now soaking. The carpet is fairly easy to clean, but the pad needs to be replaced and the floor needs to be scrubbed and resealed, because that's where the smell lives. It's just so frustrating. He never did this kind of thing until we owned our own home. Seriously. He did have a problem one time, but it was because he was sick. But now, it's just a statement. He's pissed, and he's going to let everyone know it, literally!!

So, I have decided it is time for him to move on. He needs a home where he is the only pet and there are no kids. Or a barn outside where he can do whatever he pleases. He doesn't like it here. I really believe that. He has always been pretty anti-social, I'm pretty sure his genetics are completely feral. The pet shop that sold him probably took him and his littermates from a farmer that found them in the corner of a barn. And that's honestly probably where he should go back to. He can live out his days chasing mice and basking in the sun. He's neutered so he won't contribute to the population, but he's got his claws so he can defend himself.

I listed him on Craigslist. I would feel guilty, except I really think he is trying to tell us he wants to go. Obviously I can't return the kids, and Maggie and Scout are perfectly content to live in a busy household. But Connor, he's a loner. He's stressed and ready to find a quiet place. My friend Cyndi told me I should call local horse barns to see if anyone needs a cat to help keep the grain free of mice. That's a really good idea, and I plan to get on that when I finish posting.

So,if anyone reading this lives near Denver and wants a big orange cat that has serious litter problems please let me know!

1 comment:

April Showers said...

Hey guys...so you're gonna find a new home for Conner, huh? If I was closer, I might take him from you. But if he continue to pee on the floor for me, I'd definitely find a farm or something like that for him. That's sad that he's being like that. Hopefully Scout won't go down that path.
I just got back from 3 days of camp. It was so hot! The air is so thick sometimes, and these past 3 days it was like that all day. Even when I got up and went outside at like 7:15, it was already warm and thick! Yuck! It makes my curly hair go even curlier! No sense in trying to stop it, right?
So what are you guys up to this weekend? Anything fun?