Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Silly Husband!! You're not an idiot!

Here's the story. This morning I get a phone call at 8:30. It's James and I can tell something is wrong. The conversation goes something like this: (Me in purple)

Hi honey

Hi there, ummmm.

What's wrong?

Well, I don't know how I did this, but I am standing outside my truck right now and I locked it and it's still running.

What?

Well, I got out of the car and shut the door and then I heard this ticking and I was like What is that? and then I realized it was the engine running.

You locked your keys in the car still in the ignition?

Yep.

Brawwwwhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaha. You're kidding right?

No.

Oh my gosh, seriously?

Yeah.

I'm on my way. The kids are already dressed so we can leave now.

Thanks babe.

Sure.

I can't decide if I should stay here or go in.

Because someone might take the truck?

Yeah.

Ummmmm, I wouldn't worry about it!! (If you've seen this truck you know what I mean. I'm pretty sure that Mitsubishi Mighty Max's circa. 1990 are not in high demand among car theives!)

Yeah, ok. Call me when you get here.

So we left, drove to his office, and unlocked his running truck and rescued his keys. I have to be honest here and say I have never known anyone to lock their vehicle while still running. Have you?

Ahhhhhh, just another day in paradise!

6 comments:

April Showers said...

That's funny! That makes for good conversation. A lot of the newer cars these days won't let you lock yourself out of the car if the engine is running. But I'm pretty sure the truck doesn't qualify as a "newer" car, right? :-)
Oh the joys of life. That made me smile. Thanks for the laugh!

Sue said...

Having worked in an auto shop for many years (and we also had a tow truck) I would say this is not uncommon. Funny, but not uncommon...

Stepford On Wisteria said...

Bahahahaha! Not nearly as heinous as I had anticipated. Quite funny! It was only about 3 months ago that I locked my keys in my car too. Of course, my car was OFF and I was in the driveway so I wasn't wasting fuel that costs $3.25/gal. so the suck-factor wasn't that high. I just had to find my spare keys.

What a junky way to start the day. Poor James!

Chris said...

Ok, I'll help the "idiot" (hey you said it) out here. I've done the same thing before. I thankfully was in a driveway less then a mile from home and my spare set of keys, so they were delivered in 3 minutes.

Jeni said...

I did the exact same thing one time! I left the car running because it was cold out and then locked it so one would steal it, you know, being safe! I felt pretty dumb too, but apparently there are alot of us dummies out there!

Renae said...

I managed that *bag* I started my car, was going to pick something up and it started POURING so I had DS on my hip and quickly rolled up the windows (had to start the car to roll up the windows anyway) and DS hit the lock button, I shut the door. CRAP!