Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The sound of silence.......

Wow.

It's really quiet.

Of course, to get this kind of quiet I had to leave the house. I am sitting at a little cafe, having dinner all by my lonesome and enjoying the peace. Me time. Something I know very little of and I drink it like a fine wine when I get the chance!

The kiddos were driving me absolutely buggy tonight. After the locked car fiasco this morning we headed to a local coffee shop. We had playgroup at 10 and it really wasn't worth going home just to pick up and leave a few minutes later, so I decided to go to a local place that has a nice area of toys for Gracie to play with, enjoy a coffee, and then go on our way. Well, instead the play area was commandeered by 3 snotty nosed kids (seriously, they were all sick with runny noses) that wouldn't share the toys. So instead of quietly drinking my coffee while Ian sucked on my keys and Gracie played I ended up having to referee the situation, take some of the toys to another area, and keep her occupied enough to not get beat up by these other kids.

Then, on to playgroup. We had a pretty good time. Gracie was a little sad. Her best buddy, Claire, had a friend show up that we don't know. It was pretty apparent that Claire favored this friend over Gracie, so she was kind of left in the dust. Given the kind of kid she is though, she just picked up with another friend, Spencer, and they had loads of fun sending his toy car down the slide, over and over and over again. Ian took a little nap in his Mei Tai carrier and I chatted with my mommy pals.

Then on to lunch. My friend Iris and her two boys and me and the kiddos all headed over to Joe's for lunch. We wanted to chat a little more and we were both starving. Gracie and her oldest, Atrayu, played while we occupied the babies and ate. We had a really nice talk. I like Iris. She's good people! I met her at Target last October when we were both hugely pregnant with our baby boys. She asked me when I was due and we found we had the same due date. I asked where she was giving birth and she said at home!! Turned out she had the same midwife that we had for Gracie. She had both her boys at home, so awesome! Anyway, that got us talking about other stuff, and I invited her to our Attachment Parenting International meetings. One thing led to another, a couple of phone calls, and now she's become a good friend! I think we have a lot in common.

Anyway, then we went home. Ian took a 5 minute nap in the car on the way home and then refused to go to bed. Gracie crashed and I goofed around with the boy for an hour. Just as his little eyes were finally fluttering closed I hear Gracie. Ugh........ Only an hour nap after 4 hours of playing with other kids non-stop. I don't know how she does it!

So, then she was up and she was really clingy and driving me nuts, so the minute James walked in the door I said "I'm going out for dinner, I'll be home by bedtime".

Normally I don't like to go out like this by myself. I am a social person. But tonight I just need some peace and quiet and to eat without being climbed on or yelled at or having to simultaneously attempt to shovel food in my mouth while nursing. You really appreciate the simple things once you have kids, like the ability to sit and eat an entire meal without ever getting out of your seat for anything. Sometimes I forget what it's like to eat warm food. I am reminded tonight how yummy it can be!

I took some pictures this afternoon, but I forgot to throw the camera in my bag, so I'll have to post them later.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful, peaceful, quiet night!

4 comments:

Stepford On Wisteria said...

I'm not sure if it's smart or silly, but we've been making sure to enjoy going out to dinner at least once a week and going out to the movies every Friday night.

I figure who knows how long it will be until we can enjoy those things again.

But on the other hand, by the time the Peanut does arrive we're going to be quite spoiled with an active going-out life that is going to come to a screeching halt...I should *probably* just be staying home and making some extra lasagnas to freeze for later. But that's no fun!

I'm glad you found some time to get away!

Anonymous said...

Oh how nice for you!!! I can totally sympathize---Ken and I went out a couple weeks ago before I went to my mom's and he was like---"you don't have to shovel your food in" I am so used to rushing(: Even as I type here Wesley is on my lap and he keeps asking to touch the buttons!!! Oh well, such is life(: I'll e-mail later and let ya know about my mom!
sam

April Showers said...

I can't wait to see you guys and get to play with and love on Gracie and Ian. I'm so excited! And I can't wait for you guys to meet Mike. I don't know if we'll be able to bring his daughter Madylin with us when we come the first time, but I hope so. Since I don't get to come home very often, I like to "kill as many birds" with one stone as I can, ya know. But we'll see what works out.
What are you guys going to do this weekend? Aren't you traveling up to see your family soon, like next month or something? I can't remember. Hey...do you have a 6 month picture of Ian that I can have? I have a frame waiting for just such a picture! :-) Love you!

Granny said...

My kids have had hurt feelings about friendships forming, dissolving, reforming, etc. It seems to be part of being a kid. I'm glad your little one is resilient enough to make new friends.