Tuesday, September 26, 2006

When tragedy (almost) strikes

Yesterday I was catching up on laundry, which is a pretty normal thing for me on a Monday.  I had done a bunch and put away Ian's clothes in my room, as well as remove clothes that are too small.  I moved into Gracie's room to do the same.  She was playing around behind me, wearing her leopard costume from last Halloween and Ian was crawling around on the floor.  I think I had three drawers open on her dresser.  In one moment I heard things sliding.  I was whacked in the back by a drawer and didn't know where Ian was.  The dresser was completely fallen over and the three top drawers had flown out and were on the floor.  Like Hercules I hoisted the dresser up and was about to toss drawers when I realized Ian was behind me, he had been playing at the book shelf and was now crying because the noise had scared him so much.  Gracie was over on the other side, against her closet door crying.  I grabbed up the drawers making sure her leg wasn't caught and then checked her over.  She had two big scrapes, one on either side of her hips, but otherwise looked fine.  I then plopped her over on the floor next to Ian, put them both on my lap, and hugged them, repeating over and over  "Ok, we're all ok."  Then I talked to Gracie about the importance of not climbing her dresser.  She looked at me solemnly and said "No climb the dresser never ever."  Then she apologized to the dresser and gave it a kiss, which I thought was pretty funny since it almost killed her! 
The whole situation scared me so much.  It was horrible.  I am very thankful though, I am very good in bad situations.  I think clearly and move accurately and I can assess what needs to be done in what order in a matter of milliseconds.   I should probably be an EMT or something like that.  Once when I was a camp counselor and we were using the boat to give tube rides the driver came too close to the dock and the tube swung over and the rider went face first into the wooden end planks.  Everyone totally froze.  I jumped in the water and pulled the girl out and attended to the blood and the gore while everyone else came to life and ran for help.  It wasn't until she was safely in an ambulance that I even realized what had happened.  It just came as instinct to me. 
But the emotions of rescuing your own kid from a near disaster, whew!  Once we were all sitting down I felt like I had been punched in the stomach.  And all the "what if's" ran through my head.  We could have very easily ended up in the ER with either one of them having received a horrible blow to the head, or a broken limb.  Instead we were all just a little shaken and I had time to sit and thank God for my two babies and ask that something like that never happen again.
Yes, we are securing the dresser to the wall now.  I'm not really big on all the millions of baby proofing products out there, but I don't want this to happen again.  Not never ever.

6 comments:

April Showers said...

Yikes...that's a scary, close call, huh? That's so cute that Gracie responded that way. Isn't it funny how innocent kids are. (And yet can be so rotten!)

What are you going to dress the kids up as for Halloween? How's your family? I liked all the pictures. Sounds like you guys had a good, busy trip.

Give me a shout back when you get a chance. Love you guys. Miss you a lot!

samantha said...

Oh my---I just caught Wesley trying to climb up his dresser the other day--all the drawers were open and he was trying to use them as stairs---I think my reaction scared him more than anything---I'm glad everyone is ok!! Gracie is so funny apologizing to the dresser---that's a girl for ya!(:

Sue said...

I am so thankful that you and your babies are OK. We have all our big pieces secured to the wall because they can topple in earthquakes.
Sounds like you have a very cool head on your shoulders...

HORIZON said...

Good for you and am so glad that all worked out in the end- these things can certainly give you a jolt. Hopefully someone like yourself, with a cool head, will be in the crowd if l ever need help. :)

lisajo5 said...

Wow, I am glad that neither Gracie nor Ian got hurt. I love that Gracie apologized to the dresser and kissed it. Your kids are adorable.

Stepford On Wisteria said...

*pants*

Thank you for that instant heart attack.