Tuesday, October 10, 2006

It's official, I'm a leader of the league!

I am very proud to announce that I am finally a La Leche League leader!  I finished my preview yesterday and I signed my accreditation form this morning.  I've been working on this for over a year now, so it's a big accomplishment.
I know, some of you are probably rolling your eyes, but hey, it's important to me so I want to write about it!  I realize a lot of people have a lot of misconceptions about La Leche League and breastfeeding in general.  So, here's a few facts.  Did you know that LLL.....
*was founded by 7 women in 1956 who met at a church picnic and realized the need for support for women who breastfeed.  (Breastfeeding rates were below 20% at that time).
*is recognized by the World Health Organization and UNICEF as the authority on breastfeeding.
*is accredited by the American Medical Association to provide continuing education credits to healthcare providers on the subject of  breastfeeding.
*is supported by donation and except for the corporate offices is run entirely by volunteer moms just like me.
*is an international organization with groups in over 50 countries and in every state of the US.
Obviously I am a big fan of LLL or I wouldn't have become a leader.   Attending meetings was a major contribuitor to my success in nursing both my kids, but especially Gracie because we had tons of problems at first.   So, if you ever have any question at all about breastfeeding,  I'm at your service with information on everything you wanted to know and more about breastfeeding!
And just for kicks, here's the link to their website.   www.lalecheleague.org

5 comments:

samantha said...

Good for you!! E-mail me your # I would love to call you!!

Chris said...

Good to know. Breastfeeding was such a demoralizing expirience with Andrew. The lactation people at the hospital were not very helpful. One woman was very rude about the fact that I didn't really know what I was doing. It is great that you are willing to help others to succeed at it.

lisajo5 said...

Congratulations. I know you are excited about this. Where were you about 8 years ago when I could have used your help? LOL I know you will succeed in helping other moms. Good Luck

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on this accomplishment! Thank you so much for your help and support while I was struggling with my lactational issues with Jackson. Even though I didn't want to give it up, it really took the sting out of it to know I knew I had done everything I could and called in all the back up ideas and support I could. You are going to be SO GREAT as a LLL leader! The moms in Colorado are lucky to have you on their side.

Granny said...

Congratulation. They do good work.