Friday, November 03, 2006

4 years ago today I made the best deal of my life.

Yep, that's right!  Today is our wedding anniversary.  Here's the story for all of you that don't know. 
James and I met in January of '02 in a small group Bible study.  We only lived a few blocks from each other and ended up in this same group because we were in the same area.  James likes to tell about how the first time we met we were playing a game with the group and I made a comment about how he raised his hand loud!  (We were playing a guessing game where everyone had their eyes closed and had to play various parts.  It was actually a fairly confusing and stupid game, but we all ended up laughing and getting to know each other which was the point I guess!)  We both attended that group and then started giving each other rides to church later that spring.  In July I had to go to my 10 year class reunion in Chicago and right before I left James asked me to go to a Third Day concert when I got back.  I agreed.  I also ended up moving to Boulder immediately after getting back and he helped me get my stuff into a storage unit and into the house I was moving to.  The next week we went to the concert.  We had a great time and driving back home down the mountains from Estes Park I realized I was going to marry this guy.  Crazy I know, but it was a massive unbelievable overwhelming knowledge.  It actually kind of freaked me out!!
From that day on we were almost inseparable, spending every moment we weren't working together.  We went to a weekend retreat with our church and James drove me out to the middle of no where Colorado to show me where he grew up.  By the end of September we both knew we wanted to get married and started talking about when and how.  There were a few factors to take into account, mainly that my sister was getting married in January and that was already set.  Also my immediate family has a lot of estrangement in it and people don't even talk to each other, much less spend time together.  These issues made me realize long before I met James that I was never going to have a big bash of a wedding because I wasn't going to exclude anyone and I didn't want to put up with an awkward situation.  So we planned for something small, and eventually we decided on something so small we wouldn't invite anyone at all!
We shopped for rings the third weekend in October and decided on one.  The next Tuesday, October 29th, I drove through a crazy blizzard and managed to avoid a big accident in order to pick up James for church.  He had picked up my ring that day and we got engaged almost as soon as I walked in the door of his apartment.  Our plans for church went out the window and we jumped on the computer and decided to make reservations to get married that weekend in Vegas. 
So, on Sunday November 3rd at 5:30 in the evening we were married at Chapel of the Bells in Las Vegas by a very nice woman named Reverend Brown in a ceremony that took 5 minutes and 32 seconds!   Her assistant was also our photographer and our witness.  Part of the wedding cost was a nice little bouquet of roses, a garter, and a cheap bottle of champagne.  Nothing like doing things up right!  We stayed at the Venetian while in Vegas and it was a truly romantic and wonderful weekend.
I would love to add pictures but our PC is down and the CD drive doesn't work on the laptop.   However, if you go to this link http://www.palantyri.com/  and click on wedding photos you can see the whole roll!  There are also pictures from when Gracie was born and really little if you feel like looking around!
So, that's our story!  As you can see a lot has happened in these four short years since then.
Happy Anniversary Honey!  I love you so very much.  You are an awesome husband and an incredible daddy.  I don't know where I would be or what I would do without you.  You are my best friend.  You are my favorite.   I'll love you forever and always!

6 comments:

candy said...

Beautiful pictures and beautiful kids. I really don't know how I found your blog but I love it.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Hope you have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations and happy anniversary!

samantha said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!! I'M SO GLAD YOU MARRIED JAMES--YOU HAVE BEEN SO HAPPY!!!

lisajo5 said...

Happy Anniversary!!! I can't believe how fast time flies, 4 years already. Congratulations.

Pamela said...

Happy Anniversary! You certainly have been blessed in those four years! lol

I was Maid of Honor for my best friend out in Vegas about 7 years ago. It was just wonderful! We rode up and down the strip in a limo. The little chapel was very pretty! We stayed at the Luxor hotel and love the Venetian!

May God bless you with many many more!