Wednesday, November 29, 2006

He speaks!

Yes, it's true!  Ian has started talking.  His words and phrases are as follows:
Hi
Hi da
All done
Ma
Bye
No
Boo
Sis
That's a lot of words for someone who's not quite 11 months old, isn't it???  He has such a cute little voice too.  He is also doing a few signs, he does:
Hi
Bye
All done
I'm trying to teach him more so we'll see if he picks them up before he starts saying them.  With Gracie it was almost a race to see if she would sign or say a word first.  She figured out how to talk so quick that we didn't use sign language for communication as much as I thought we would.  We'll see if Ian is the same. 
Believe it or not I just finished the invitations to Ian's birthday party today.  My gosh, he's going to be one.  This year has so totally flown by.  I can hardly believe it.   
Gracie is also growing by leaps and bounds.  One of her favorite words right now is "actually".  She likes to correct me by saying "Well, actually mom."  And yes, she calls me mom.  Not all the time, but it's getting more common.  Sometimes mama, never mommy.  Isn't she too young to be calling me mom??  She's growing up wayyyyy to fast. 
She's also gaining an acute awareness of her emotions and getting more easily concerned and frightened about things.  She's particularly afraid of losing her family right now.  I'm not sure if it has to do with Sarah's death or not, but she is afraid of getting lost from us, and she mentions it almost daily. 
Gracie has gotten very into doing things "by myself"  She likes to get her own food, get dressed by herself and read by herself.  I love listening to her read.  She describes what she sees on the pages and adds in phrases from the words we read to her.  It's really very cute.
We are looking forward to seeing that family that is far away so you can actually experience what the kids are doing instead of just reading about it.   It will be so much fun!  I can't believe Christmas is just around the corner!

6 comments:

Chris said...

Wow, that is so great. Seems to me that both of your kids are verbally advanced. I wanted to try signs with Andrew, but we just never seemed to get to it. Maybe with the next one.

Andrew is geting better at vocalizing what he wants in a way that we can understand. It is so cool when they start to talk.

Anonymous said...

Ian talking already?

That makes me sad!

Too big, too fast.

samantha said...

So cute---I love when they start talking their little voices are so cute--Chase and Wes talked early too--I really like using the sign language--especially for please--no more screaming when they want something!!!

Where are you going for Christmas? I'll have to call sometime again soon--would love to talk to you again!

The Mama said...

Yep, the sign language definiately cuts down on the screaming, which I could really use right now because Ian has decided that screaming at high pitched decibels is the default meaning anything from "crap I fell down" to "I'm hungry" to "Gracie took something from me.....again" The boy is screaming all the time these days. I can't wait for it to stop.

We aren't going anywhere. My mom and Dave are coming through town right after Christmas on the way to their house in Arizona. And James sister is coming home from NC. So we will get to see a few people we don't see very often.

samantha said...

Sounds like Fun--your Mom hasn't seen the kids in a while---right? Hopefully it will be a good time! I wish we could see people---everyone keeps asking if we're coming home for Christmas---I'm like well, if you have around $6000-7000 then we will!!! Oh well, maybe some day!!

Sue said...

How fun for you and the kids to see some family from out of town!
11 months seems young to be saying all those words. My littlest grandson didn't talk at all until he was about 2½ due to hearing problems. We used baby signs to communicate..
:)
(He's totally fine now after having tubes put in his ears.)