Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I feel so incredibly sad

I just got word that one of my friends was killed in a car accident on Monday night.  Her oldest daughter Maya is two months younger than Gracie and her baby Abigail just turned 8 months old.  We met at LLL when Maya was only 3 weeks old. 
Apparently she and her husband had left the kids with her parents who are in town visiting from Michigan.  I met her parents the day before her youngest was born at a playdate/field trip we had at a local museum.   Her parents were both teachers and we talked a little bit about teaching school.  Sarah was just huge with her baby and excited about her scheduled c-section the next day.  Her baby was stuck breech, just as her first baby was so she got to plan day and time of the birth.  They were just finishing building their dream house.  Everything was perfect.
We went to Maya's birthday party in July.  It was a family affair and we had a great time.  Their new house is incredibly beautiful.  Abigail was adorable and Maya was cute as a button.  Sarah and I talked for awhile about the woes of toddlerhood and adjusting to the baby having a new fear of strangers.  Gracie hung with Maya and played.
Sarah and Drew went out for dinner on Monday.  They were in seperate vehicles. Sarah was hit by a woman that was speeding excessively and hit the median, jumping it, going airborne, and hitting Sarah head on.  Both women were killed. 
The service is tomorrow night.   I don't even know how to go about attending the funneral of a friend.  I am just sick to my stomach.  Her babies, her poor babies.  Abigail is exclusively breastfed.  She needs her mommy.  She doesn't even know what a bottle is.  This is all just so hugely unfair I don't even know how to express it except that my heart is just so sad.  The entire situation is my worst nightmare come true.  My whole life seems to have been slammed into perspective.
I can't stop crying.

9 comments:

lisajo5 said...

There aren't words to express how sorry I am that you are having to go through this. You are in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry honey.

Sending love and hugs over the miles...

Sue said...

I'm so very sorry for the loss of your friend. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this very sad time...

Chris said...

I am so sorry. That is just so sad. You and her family are in my prayers.

Love and hugs.

Brandi said...

Oh my gosh, how terrible! I am so sorry. I'll be praying for peace and comfort for you and everyone involved.

Pamela said...

Oh dear, it is so very hard when we lose loved ones. She sounds like she was a great Mom. Sometimes, we just have to remember that they are in a better place and the Lord will cradle her in the palm of his hands. You can make an immense difference in attending the funeral and telling her parents what you have told us. It will bless them in ways that are so meaningful. Take care of yourself and know you,, and your family as well as hers will be in my prayers...I am so sorry for your loss.

samantha said...

Hey, I am so so sorry for your loss. I am praying for you and the family as well. I will pray for those babies---I know you are strong and can be such a help during this time. When those kids are older you can tell them what a great woman their mother was--you can be there for them. You can do it!

The Mama said...

Thanks to everyone for your kind words. The service was tonight and it was very nice. The girls are going to be so well taken care of. Their grandparents are staying for the next 2 months. We have had loads of breastmilk donated for the baby already, it's amazing the outpouring from our circle of friends. Meal drop off is being arranged and I promised Drew that we would keep in contact and that we would be visiting with the girls often. Their lives have been altered forever without a doubt, but I have hope now after seeing them in the arms of their family.

They are leaving for Michigan on Monday to bury Sarah. They have another service there on Monday. Keep them in your prayers. Especially Drew. He has such a road ahead of him.

The Mama said...

Their leaving Saturday, not Monday. Sorry if that didn't make sense.