Monday, January 01, 2007

It's been a busy week!!

Wow, can't believe it's been a week since I posted!!  We've had lots going on, here's a recap:

Tuesday night we picked up April at the airport.  Gracie was very happy to see her and her enthusiasm did not wear off for Aprils entire visit! 

Wednesday there were warnings all over the news about another snow storm hitting, starting on Thursday afternoon and lasting until Saturday.  So, we hit the grocery store and the party store to gather everything we needed to survive the next couple of days and celebrate Ian's birthday on Saturday.  I wasn't sure if we would be able to have Ian's party or not, but I wanted to be prepared.  James got off work a couple hours early and April graciously offered to watch the kids so we could get out alone and go..........car shopping!  We have been planning to get a new vehicle for a few months and we were waiting for his bonus to come before we went shopping.  So Wednesday evening I hobbled and rode and James drove 3 cars at two different dealers.  Nothing really struck us though, so we went and grabbed dinner at this delicious little noodle place and then headed home.  We spent the rest of the night on the internet car shopping and by bedtime had a list of 3 more cars at 3 dealerships we wanted to drive. 

Thursday morning we jumped up and again April watched the kids while we drove all around south Denver trying to beat the snow storm and test some cars.  It was the first time I went out of the house without my cast as well, I wanted to be able to drive something at least a little before we decided to buy it.  Well, long story short we decided on the very last car we drove.  We told the sales guy what our offer was, they countered with something two thousand dollars higher, we held our guns and ended up paying only $100 more than our initial offer, which ended up being less than NADA and blue book value!!!  It pays to shop for a car at the end of the year when the dealerships have been closed due to snowstorms and another storm literally brewing!  So, we are now the proud owners of a 2000 Honda CRV.   This picture isn't our exact one because I don't have a picture and don't want to go outside!  You get the idea though!

It's a great little truck, green with leather interior, fully loaded and well taken care of.  We are pleased as punch!  We were home just a little after noon, which was a good thing cause the snow was definitely falling by then.  Now we just need to sell the pick-up.  Anyone out there looking for a 1990 Mitsubishi Mighty Max?  We know just the one for you!

We spent the rest of Thursday and all day Friday inside watching the snow fall.  Luckily it wasn't as much as they initially predicted, but we still ended up with a good foot here at our house.  Thursday evening I decided that to be on the safe side we would postpone Ian's birthday party to next weekend.  Also because of the snow my mom and Dave didn't end up making it into town.  In fact last I heard they were stranded outside Albuquerque because of the storm.  I'm gonna call them as soon as I get this posted. 

Saturday was Ian's birthday!!!!!  It dawned with blue skies and fairly clear roads.  We decided it was safe enough to travel a bit to bring April to my in-laws.  We ended up meeting at the Denver Aquarium and having a very good time.  We ate lunch in the restaurant there which was really fantastic and so cool, we were sitting right next to the huge coral reef tank! The Aquarium was also very nice.  When it was time to go and we had to break it to Gracie that auntie April was leaving she was completely beside herself.  It was so sad, she was crying, April was crying, I was getting all choked up.....what a mess we were!  The kids had such a great time with April.  She is a wonderful aunt and has the energy to keep up with Gracie who honestly does not ever stop.  It was so nice for James and I to be able to get away a bit and know the kids were in the best hands possible.  I sure wish she lived close!

 

After we got back home I baked a cake and made some frosting.  After dinner we had Ian's little birthday celebration.  He had a good time tearing up his piece of cake!  After that we went upstairs and gave him his presents and after the kids played with them for awhile we called it a night.  It had been a really long day!

 

Then yesterday I had two goals for the day.  One, to get Ian's pictures taken, and two, to get Gracie's hair cut.  Another busy day.  We did get both done, Ian's pictures turned out so adorable, I am thrilled with them.  I will post a few tomorrow, James should be able to pick them up tomorrow.  And Gracie's hair cut came out so great.  I really didn't want much done, just a little trim.  I especially wanted some layers done to shorten a few pieces of her hair that haven't started to curl yet.  It turned out so cute.  We did the whole shebang, took her to a kids salon, and got the first haircut special!  (Yes, she's two and a half and it was her first haircut.  I'm not a big believer in styling children's hair, I prefer the natural look!)  So she got her picture taken and a little certificate.  The salon was great, we will definitely go back!  She was so cute and brave.  On the way there she was saying she was afraid the lady would cut her chin and make her bones fall out!!  Where do kids come up with this stuff?  Anyway, we convinced her it wouldn't hurt and would be fun and I think by the end she believed us.  She also got a special ticket that went into a machine and spit out a prize.  She was very impressed by that "magic".

So....today we didn't do much of anything, a little cleaning, a little transfer of car stuff, and a lot of laying around.  Tomorrow starts my new schedule with Dominik.  I now have him every Tuesday-Thursday all day long.  It will be a bit of a change, but it will be nice to have him one day less a week and almost double the hours.  Gracie is excited.  We haven't seen him in two weeks!!

Oh, I almost forgot....Ian is now walking.  Mostly anyway!  He is getting more and more confident by the minute, I suppose he will be running by the end of the month!

Well, there you have it!  The mother of all updates.  Hope all is well with you, my cyberspace friends!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Ian! And congratulations on the walking :)

Also, a big congrats to all of you on the new vehicle! It looks so nice. I've never owned a Honda in my life, so I shall live vicariously (and enviously) through you ;)

Happy new year!

Heather said...

Gracie looks so cute! I can't wait to see them next Saturday. Love you guys! Mom

samantha said...

WOW!!! You were busy---good stuff, though! Great new car--I love it!! Happy Birthday to Ian---looks like he loved the cake(: Gracie looks adorable!!
Happy New Year!!!

Jeni said...

Congrats on your new car! That's the exact same engine and drive train that we have on our Element and we absolutely LOVE it! It's especially awesome in all this snow we've been having! I know you'll love it! Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Loved the nice newsy post! Gracie's hair cut is so sweet! Happy Birthday to Ian. Such a big boy to be walking now..
Your new car looks great!
:)

April Showers said...

I finally made it back to NC! I wasn't able to get on a flight on Tuesday, so I went back to Loveland and then went back to DIA yesterday. They ended up re-routing me through Pittsburgh. But it was cool because my pilot from Pitt to Charlotte was a guy named Mark that goes to our church. That's the 2nd time I've gotten to fly with him. It was cool! I'm glad to be out of an airport! I'll write more later! Tell Gracie and Ian I said hi and that I love them!