Tuesday, April 03, 2007

I love to Freecycle!!

If you don't belong to your local freecycle group you really should join up! I know that most suburban areas have them, I'm not sure the more rural you get though. Just check Yahoo groups in your area. You can also check your local Craigslist group, they have a free section as well. If you can't find what you need for free Craigslist has ads for many used items as well.

I have become a major freecycler. It's such a great way to get rid of stuff you don't need and to get things you do! We have given away a bunch of stuff, computer and electronic stuff, kids clothing, toys, our huge TV cabinet, tons of little knick-knack stuff, a sink, a changing table and a cat (Connor is still loving the country life by the way! They got him a girl friend, he sleeps all day and kills mice when he feels like it. Not a bad life at all for a huge orange cat!) We have received kids clothes, a sandbox, a couch, a teeter-totter, a golf ball holder (I really need to mail that to my dad!) and a giant metal fold-down dog cage. The free stuff we have gotten would have literally cost us hundreds of dollars.

I think it's a great way to make sure your stuff finds a new home and doesn't end up in some landfill. It's also easier than making donations to someplace like goodwill because you don't have to take your stuff anywhere and then people don't have to pay for it at all. I mean, if you're going to donate it for free someone mine as well get it for free too, right?

Anyway, just thought I'd let you all know how fun and easy it can be to get and give free stuff!!!

www.craigslist.com (Find your state on the right and click and then you will get a list of local groups. Once you find your local group you can bookmark it so you don't have to go through the main group every time.)


www.yahoogroups.com (Put your local town name and the word freecycle in the search box. Join up and you are good to go!)

3 comments:

Mrs. Powers if you're nasty said...

We love Freecycle here too, we've been giving away TONS of stuff on there so we have less to move! It's been a godsend!

Mof2 said...

I am a member of our local freecycle group, but what I can't stand is when people decide to leave the stuff outside their home and say come get it to whoever wants it. It is so hard to get there and stuff still be there. It just really drives me nuts!! Glad to hear you have a better cycling experience then I do.

The Mama said...

That's actually not allowed in our freecycle group because people (not locally here but in general)have had their homes broken into and stuff stolen off their patios when they do that kind of thing!! I see listings like that on Craigslist and I always wonder if people take other stuff too.