Thursday, August 02, 2007

The journey continues.....

So, in Sioux Falls we stayed at a great hotel. I highly recommend it if you are in that area. It was the Best Western Ramkota. It had an awesome indoor kids pool with a water slide and fountains and stuff like that, as well as an outdoor pool and room service that was very affordable. Which was a good thing because when we arrived at 8pm we hadn't eaten dinner yet and I had been promising Gracie all day that as soon as we got to the hotel we could swim!

One of the kids favorite activities in hotel rooms was playing with the phones. I believe they were so impressed by them because they had never seen such a thing before. We do not have a land line phone at our house, we each have our own cell phones and that's all. Every hotel we stayed in we had to disconnect the phones because the kids were just plain obsessed with them. From Souix Falls we went to the bustling metropolis of Galesville Wisconsin, a town where they try to get you to believe the Garden of Eden was. Apparently back in the day a traveling preacher made some really interesting calculations and said that indeed the Garden of Eden was right there in Wisconsin on the banks of the Mississippi river. Here's me and the kids with a statue of the aforementioned preacher:



The local greasy spoon restaurant that we had breakfast at was called The Garden of Eatin'. Clever, eh?

So, I'm sure you're asking how in the world we ended up in the Garden of Eden? Well, we were there to visit Chris, one of James oldest buddies. He's there finishing up his summer internship for seminary. Here's the only picture I took of him:

I know, it's a great shot! He's walking across a suspension bridge that is held together by duct tape and rust. It was very bouncy and fairly scary. Here's a shot of James and Ian in the woods across the bridge:

We had a great time in Galesville, we ate at a supper club that was right next door to our motel which was really cute. Afterwards I sent the boys out for some guy time while I put the kids to bed and then had some much appreciated quiet time reading magazines outside our room door. Until the sun went down and I started getting eaten alive by mosquitos. Then I went in the room and sat in the dark wondering what I was going to do....it was pretty boring. I turned on the tv for a minute but the light made both the kids squirm around so I decided to shut it off. So I did what anyone in my position would do, I opened a Bacardi Silver and sat on the bed in the dark enjoying the quiet and then I went to bed. James came in awhile later having had a great time with Chris.

The next morning we headed out for our final destination. We decided to stop in the Wisconsin Dells for our mid-day break.

We ended up in this little Bavarian square where we listened to a clock tell us the story of the Pied Piper. It was kind of weird.Then we decided to go to the Wisconsin Deer Park a petting zoo of sorts where you can mix with the deer and feed them crackers. It was really pretty cool!! Here's a few of the best shots:

This is of course not a deer but a goat. Oddly enough the number on this photo ended with 666. I just wanted to share that.

And finally, later that afternoon, we made it to Chicago!!!


3 comments:

April Showers said...

I love the pictures. That one of Gracie hugging the deer cracks me up. What a sweet girl! I'm glad that you guys got to see Chris. I haven't seen him in years!

Brandi said...

I love the one of Gracie hugging the deer!!! And you gotta love the satanic goat too ;-)

samantha said...

My kids love hotel phones too...