Friday, August 24, 2007

When did they get so big?

Seriously. Today I am struck by the fact that suddenly I am parenting two big kids. It's so weird. In my head they are still babies. In reality they are walking, talking, capable little beings. It's just amazing.

Ian spoke his first sentence yesterday. He said "Hello Anna". Well, he didn't say it as much as he yelled it out the window at our neighbor. Simple I know. But significant. In just a few more months he'll be chatting away with Gracie about who knows what. They will be able to have conversations that won't include me. That's just an amazing thought.

The two of them have been playing together a lot more lately. Gracie has decided that Ian is a suitable playmate for the most part, although she still occasionally tells me she wants me to give him back and get her a sister instead. She doesn't realize that siblings are siblings no matter what their gender. I have both a brother and a sister and they annoyed me equally when we were growing up. Actually...... they still annoy me equally!

Gracie is in the middle of her second class at the rec center. This class is a "princess" class. This class of all girls gets together to color pictures of ponies and rainbows, dance with ribbons, and make bejeweled purses and crowns. It's so stinking cute, really! The first week she insisted on wearing one of my dresses I wore when I was a flower girl in my aunt Judy and uncle Bill's wedding. She was the only kid that came all decked out in full princess apparel. The other little girls looked at her with awe, like they were in the presence of a real princess. It was so funny. Yesterday she settled on wearing a dress I bought on clearance after Easter last year. It just fits her now and it looked very nice. Again she was the only girl dressed up! Next week they were all told to wear their princess dresses and they are going to have a tea party. I am going to hit a couple Good Will stores this week to see if we can find something superbly fancy, maybe something with sequins and feathers..............

We also have Gracie signed up for a soccer team for the month of September. I am going to be coaching. It should be fun! Originally I had her signed up to play on Saturday mornings, but then I got the roster and there was a fairly big problem. Gracie was the only girl on the team. Now, if she were older I wouldn't mind that, after all I was one of only two girls in the boys baseball league when I was growing up. I didn't care at all! But for this very first venture into team sports I would like her to play with boys and girls. So I contacted the organizer and said I really needed him to either add girls to our team or to switch me to another team. So we were switched. She also starts swimming lessons the end of September and we will all be taking Music Together classes again this fall. So our schedule is going to be fairly busy.

I have been thinking about getting a little part-time job. I'm kind of torn on what to do. Part of me really wants to get out of the house and do something that requires interacting with other adults. The problem with that is it would require giving up at least one weekend day because I have to work when James can be home, otherwise it's pretty pointless. I don't want to give up weekend time though. The other option is in-home childcare again. Which I honestly don't really want to do either. Especially with how busy our calendar is becoming. I want Gracie to be able to take whatever classes she wants to without having to worry about being home for someone to be dropped off or picked up. I'm weighing my options and seeing what opens up.

So that's the scoop around here. I hope you all have a great weekend. We are going to do a whole lot of nothing I think. It's suppose to be in the mid to high 90's all weekend. That sounds like lay around in the air conditioning weather to me!

2 comments:

Coupon Chris said...

Sounds like you are going to have your hands full, but it sounds like fun.

As far as a part time job goes, you could look into doing what I do. See if your local pumpkin farm is hiring. You may have to give up some weekend time, but it is short term.

Felicia said...

Today, I mourn the passing of our youth as you have now officially become a minivan driving soccer mom.

*sniffle*