Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Herding Cats


What mind picture do you have when you hear that phrase? Well, let me share my mind picture with you. They hit the ground running, they don't come when you call, and when you put twelve of them in one space all hell breaks loose.

What are these creatures?

Three year olds.


And what was I trying to do with them?

Coach soccer


Today I found a new respect for pre-school teachers. Seriously. It is crowd control at it's finest. If you can get twelve of them to go the same direction at the same time while not talking you have managed an incredible feat. People who can do this with ease should be in charge of FEMA. We don't need big name government officials planning evacuations and disaster relief, we need pre-school teachers.

Anyway.......all in all I think our first practice went ok. I survived, the kids survived, and I think most of them had fun.

I think though, when this 4 week stint is over, I shall retire.

5 comments:

April Showers said...

That's funny! I can't wait to see some pictures and/or video of Gracie playing soccer. I'm sure she loves it - and loves having you as her coach! Way to do some a lot of people never would try or be willing to do! :-)

April Showers said...

Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Alice, Happy Birthday to you!

I hope you have a great day!

(Be thankful you couldn't hear me singing as I typed that!)

I love you! Have a great day!

Felicia said...

That made me laugh!

R.I.P. Your soccer coaching career.

samantha said...

Sounds like Wesley's team!! It's so funny!!

Brandi said...

Oh my gosh yes!!! I used to teach 13 two-year olds, and it was very much like herding cats! Except I got paid...so while I didn't retire quite as quickly, I don't know that I'd try it again. Now I struggle to herd the one cat I have...she has a listening problem at the moment.