Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Update

A lot has been going on and has left me without much energy to post.

Soccer has been going well. Just one week left thank goodness. It's been hard but the parents have been great and the kids are figuring it out. And I have a whole new respect for the coaches I had when I played on community sports teams as a kid. Coaching is a lot of work. And this is just 3 year olds!

The kids and I attended a memorial for Sarah last week. There was a Mothers Against Drunk Driving sign posted at the accident site with the Don't Drink and Drive message and Sarah's name. I didn't know until I got the message from Sarah's mom the sign was going up that the woman that hit Sarah was drunk. I had suspected it but it has never come up in the conversations I've had with Drew and I never asked. The woman that killed Sarah was actually 4 times the legal limit and most likely passed out at the wheel. The memorial was wonderful and horrible all at the same time. It was nice to see our friends and share our memories, it was horrible to talk to people that had been at the scene and were able to fill in the blanks for me. It was a horrific accident. Hearing the details has been very difficult. I can only imagine how much worse it is for Drew as he was at the scene. Anyway....the last two weeks since finding out the woman was drunk and then attending the memorial have been difficult for me. I can't believe it's almost been a year.

I have started working again, I am babysitting a brother and sister just two mornings a week. They are 4 and soon to be 6 and they get along with Gracie and Ian wonderfully. It keeps me on my toes, but it's worth it.

I started guitar lessons. I'm picking it up fairly well and I am working through the numb fingers on my left hand!! It will be nice when I have callouses.

We started our Music Together classes again. As usual they are wonderful I just love Miss Brenda!

My co-leader for La Leche League has decided to retire and her last meeting was yesterday. I am now fairly panicked as I am solely responsible for all the aspects of the Parker group. I am very hopeful that my friend Kendrah will soon begin her application to become a leader so we can co-lead together. There's a lot of paperwork that needs to be done and a lot of small stuff to keep track of. I have done a lot of the "busy" work for our group so far, but I haven't been responsible for the important stuff like sending reports to international and doing the financials. I just hope I don't mess it up now!

Ian is talking more every day. He's adding in lots of words and speaking more clearly. It's so sweet and so sad at the same time. My baby is really growing up. He's almost 2!! It just doesn't seem possible.

We bought a new car. Since Sarah's accident I have been almost obsessed with vehicle safety. I know you can't predict that kind of thing, but I just want to make sure that I am doing everything possible to keep us safe in the car. It's one of the reasons we bought the Honda, which we loved. But with babysitting and needing 3 car seats in the car and not being able to use the front seat with a kid under 12 the Honda didn't work for me. And the van......well, it's a 1990. It has NONE of the safety features that are available now. Add to that the fact that Gracie has had to move up to a specialized car seat for kids over 40 pounds. (Bear with me now, I am crazy about car seat safety). I could legally put her in a booster, but for the most safety we had to buy a Britax Regent which holds a child front facing until 80 pounds with a 5 point harness. It is vitally important to me that she is in one of those seats. They are expensive though, and I really didn't want to buy two, and I really didn't want to have to move it between vehicles all the time. So I started doing research and convinced James (he's a patient patient man) that we could get ourselves a new Kia van and keep our payment the same as it was on the Honda, but be a ton safer. We went to the dealership this past Saturday and after seeing them he was convinced. So we bought a brand new Kia Sedona. It's silver and it's the base model but it's just as nice as the Honda was and it's the highest rated minivan for safety. Kia base models come with a ton of "upgrades" like power windows and locks, remote entry, CD player and lots of other nice things. I am very very happy. Oh......and it has LATCH for installing car seats. I can't even believe how easy and nice it is to put car seats in with it. So much better than using the seat belt, the car seats feel like they are part of the car, permanently attached. It's so great.

There's been a lot of other stuff going on too. I have pictures that I will put up in the next few days to show you what we've been up to.

No comments: