Monday, December 15, 2008


That's the only word that comes to mind right now, the last week has been absolute chaos!

It all starts with a foster dog named Garrett. He came in on a transport from Kansas last Wednesday. Poor guy had wandered up to a farm and got attacked by the resident farm dog. The farmer brought him to the shelter and his time was up. The shelter people loved him so they figured out how to get him to rescue. They neutered him before he was picked up for the rescue.

Sounds like the perfect end for him, right?

Except that his neuter got infected and apparently no one noticed. I have no idea how no one could have noticed because when I got him in my house on Wednesday night and took a good look at him he was dripping blood!!! Yes, visibly dripping blood. So off to the doggie ER we went. The vet there said that it was the worst infection he'd ever seen, gave me pain meds and an antibiotic and said he needed to go to the regular vet in a couple days. He said that in his opinion the entire site would have to be removed.

So Wednesday night I slept down on the couch. Garrett was in so much pain and was also loopy from the medications, he was crying and whining and pacing and freaking out. I stayed down there and hushed him every hour or two. Not a great night sleep. The next day was the same. Dog was in serious pain, it was awful. James slept on the couch that night. Finally Friday came and the vet appointment. It took her about one minute to assess it and say that it was definitely going to be removed, now. So Garrett went into surgery and had his balls removed.

Upon further investigation the vet also found he has infections in both his ears that were so bad his ears were filled with pus. He also had chemical burns on his lips which were causing the skin to fall off and bleed. (I had asked them to check on that because I saw the blood but I had no idea about his ears). He had to spend the night which was kind of a pain since I had to work on Saturday, so James was going to have to pick him up.

Anyway, Saturday dawns. I head off for a free oil change which as of this morning has turned into a 15,000 mile maintenance and alignment to the tune of $390. Oy!!! After my not so free oil change I went to work. James picked up Garrett. Errands were run, time was run out. I came home from work, more errands were run and we headed up to Loveland to see the in-laws and friends. Another person from the rescue checked on Garrett twice while we were gone. Kids made a gingerbread house with Grandma and we chatted and ate. Headed to party. Party was fun, kids ran like crazy, food was eaten, games were played, gift cards were had by all!! We headed home and pulled in around 10:30. Tucked kids into bed, and hit the sack ourselves.

12:45 we are awoken by a scream that would wake the dead.

Gracie had puked all over her bed and was coming down the hall looking for us. She was totally freaking out and it was insane for awhile because Garrett was in our bathroom and we had to turn her around to head to her bathroom. Screaming, crying, barking and barfing ensued for the next few minutes. Once Gracie settled down I got her in the shower while we quickly got laundry started and a bed made for her on our bedroom floor. Garrett was moved down to the kitchen with Maggie and threatened with his life if he barked again. Amazingly he listened!!

Gracie was settled into her new bed with a bowl and given instructions on what to do should she need to throw up again. Those instructions were followed repeatedly about every 45 minutes the rest of the night while she slept and puked on and off.

Sunday we all slept til 8 which is sleeping in around here!! It was snowing out and freezing cold. I had a party at 1 and was nervous about driving the bus on snowy roads for the first time. Gracie watched TV. I left at 11:30. Kids chilled. James did homework. I stopped on my way home from work to get some homeopathics and herbs for the puking. Around 6 Gracie every so slightly puked again, there wasn't much to come out though. We watched the Apple Dumpling Gang and then everyone went to bed.

It was a good night and Gracie slept without puking, thank goodness. Now we're just waiting to see if Ian catches it. I've felt a little queezy but nothing more.

We have a possible match for Garrett with all his problems and everything!!! So he may be adopted by the end of the week.

Hopefully next weekend will be a lot less insane. I have to work a lot so it might not calm down, but one can hope!!!!

1 comment:

Courtney Fisk said...

WOW! That is about all I can say! WOW! Hope you all are feeling better, rested, and ready for the holidays!