Friday, January 09, 2009

New kids rooms 3.0 (or is it 4.0)

If you've been to our house you know that since the kids have grown it's become like a puzzle box situation for me to figure out how to make every space work for every person in this house. In reality we are lacking a lot of what we really could use. A common space for a playroom would be nice, a rec room would be great, and an office would be very useful. We could also use a garage to store our cars and all the kids outdoor play stuff in, but I'll try to not ask for too much!

I feel like I am always in a state of puzzle box solving. I think "If I move this here and this here and this here maybe things will be better." Sometimes my ideas work, other times....... not so much. I have moved stuff, traded rooms, shared rooms, and combined rooms looking for just the right combination many times at this point!

My most recent idea has proved to be a wonderful idea. It probably wouldn't have worked until now though so I'm glad I didn't try it earlier. My idea was this: let's make one bedroom and one play room for both the kids. I realize that's not really a profound plan, lots of kids around the world share rooms. I think it's working best for us now though because the kids are both to a place where they really don't wake each other up in the case of middle of the night tragedies. They also both like the idea of not being alone at night, so having each other works perfectly! They have also been so happy to have all their toys out in one place where they can see and reach them all well. Until now we've generally had half their stuff in their closets which really doesn't work well, out of sight out of mind.

I swapped everything around a couple of weeks ago with the mindset that we would try it and see how it went. I wasn't sure the kids would be too thrilled with sharing their space so I told them we could change it back if they wanted to. Luckily they both seem to love it and we are now making plans for repainting to make the rooms more neutral. I think in the bedroom I am just going to paint some of the circles dark blue and light blue, leaving others the dark pink and light pink. I'd really like to find bedding to tie Ian's bed into the room then, but it's not a priority. The playroom is going to be much bolder colors. We are thinking we will paint each wall it's own color one green, one yellow, one orange and one blue. Alternately I have a pallet that is yellow, green, blue and pink. We will figure that out eventually.

I also used the Target gift card my awesome Fun Bus boss gave me for Christmas to spruce up the kids bathroom. I bought new towels, a new rug, and a new shower curtain. I love the new look, it's very cute, bright, and fun!

I'm sorry some of the pictures are so dark. I have messed with my camera too much and I have settings that I am trying to figure out how to get them back to normal. Too much tinkering, I need to get the manual out!

Anyway, without further ado, the new rooms:


The bathroom:

The Playroom, as you enter:

Left wall with toy bins, car mat and garage, and book corner:


Right wall with record player, more toy bins, and the kitchen corner:
The closet, with table and special quiet area in a netting tent:
Kids room left wall with Gracie's full loft bed above Ian's twin bed.

The right wall, aka dresser central. This has all their clothes and their dress up stuff.
So there it is! Once we paint I'll post pictures again. The playroom will look especially different, I'm excited to see how it will all turn out!

No comments: